Start Up Energy Transition
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
Start Up Energy Transition Award 2022
*Scroll down for application form*
Welcome to the submission page of the Start Up Energy Transition Award 2022. We kindly ask you to take the time to read through everything thoroughly, and in case you have any further questions, please write to : email@example.com
The Start Up Energy Transition Award is an international competition for start-ups and young companies worldwide who are working on ideas affecting global energy transition and climate change. In the last four years, the award has received more than 2,300 applications from 102 countries. SET is powered by the German Energy Agency (dena), in cooperation with the World Energy Council.
Clean Energy Generation - Key words (not limited to): heat generation; clean cooling; alternative fuels; solar; wind; Power-to-X; maintenance infrastructures
Demand-side Innovation - Key words (not limited to): smart devices; insulation; prosumers; green buildings; retrofitting; heat recovery; big-data energy footprint; net-zero communities
Energy Distribution and Storage - Key words (not limited to): grid mgmt systems; smart platforms; AI; blockchain; digital twinning; storage; conflict and rare-earth free materials; batteries; big-data; grid stability; grid flexibility; sector-coupling
Smart Mobility & Transportation - Key words (not limited to): public transport; logistics management; shipping and freight; public planning; electrification; infrastructure; alternative modes of transport
Quality Energy Access & SDG-7 - Key words (not limited to): SDG-7; the Energy Trilemma; equity; affordability; access; reliability: resource management; environmental sustainability; social entrepreneurship; cooperation; impact and scale
Please find full category descriptions here
- Applicants may only apply to one category. All subsequent applications to other categories will be disqualified.
- The start-up must not have been founded longer than ten years ago. In other words, the date of foundation cannot exceed 2011.
- The application, including any attached documents, must be in English.
- The start-up must be able to present a functioning prototype. In addition, the company must be registered or be in the process of becoming registered and the applicant must be able to present a proof of concept or a client, and/or an industrial/corporate/institutional partner.
- The applicant must fill out the entire form. Partially completed applications will not be accepted.
Benefits & Prizes
No matter how far you go into the SET process, there is always a value-added for your start-up. Many of our start-ups have gone on to gain new investors, mentors and customers, received invitations to energy events around the world and won even more awards and recognition for their inspiring work.
- For all Participants: join the global platform of innovation leaders; see your views represented in the Energy Innovators Issues Monitor; Inform and influence policies that will boost innovation.
- For the #SET100 2022: The Top 100-ranked applicants will be featured in our annual publication which is circulated to investors, corporates and political stakeholders across the globe. The Top 100 start-ups also receive a free ticket to the SET Tech Festival.
- For all 15 Finalists: Return-flight to Berlin and accommodation for 2 representatives of the start-up to attend the SET Tech Festival; Pitch coaching; Meet-and-greet with high-level jury, Individual category booth at SET Tech Festival; Live pitches at SET Tech Festival; Investor-matchmaking; Tickets to the Berlin Energy Transition Dialogue (BETD); Content creation: Free promotional video, interviews and branding in all communication material; Access to exclusive partner events globally.
- Winners of each Category: Up to 10.000 Euros prize money; Profile of start-up celebrated across the World Energy Council’s global energy network in 99 countries; Extra visibility; Opportunity to attend the World Energy Leaders’ Summit.
Selection Process & Timeline
- 20 October, 2021 – 31 January, 2022: Application phase
- February 2022: Applications ranked and evaluated; high-level jury evaluations
- March 2022: Top 15 finalists announced; SET 100 announced
- Spring 2022 SET Tech Festival/ Winners announced
Terms and Conditions
Download the official conditions and legal terms for taking part in the competition.